Eco-Congregation Scotland Values, Vision and Mission Statement
A Scotland that cares for God's creation, now and forever
- We care passionately for God's creation
- We are a faith based movement
- We are rooted in local groups of Christians
- We work co-operatively with each other and with others who care about the environment
- We encourage transformational change at individual, community and national levels
- In prayer, worship and conversation we discover what it means to care for God's creation
- We put that care into action individually, locally, nationally and globally, desiring to live justly in a transformed world
- We commit ourselves to campaigning on urgent threats to the web of life in our vulnerable world.
The eco-group has produced a Purchasing Policy which will be used as guidance for any future purchasing. We could all use these guidelines in considering our own purchases for home and the workplace.
Carbon Footprint for Ferryhill Parish Church in recent years (all numbers in tonnes)
2014 = 40.89
2015 = 43.11
2016 = 42.04
2017 = 41.8
As an Eco Congregation we aim:
- To encourage and enable our Church as an eco-congregation, to care for the environment in every part of church life
- To link environmental issues and Christian Faith in worship, bible study and education
- To take environmental action in church buildings and grounds, and in finance and purchasing
- To work with the community for a greener world through our personal lifestyles, community projects and global links.
We would like to encourage you to take action in your own lives to reduce your energy use. From time to time we will offer energy saving tips. Here are ten things you can do right now:
- Always turn off lights when you leave a room
- Use low energy light bulbs
- Switch off appliances at the mains – don’t leave on standby
- Don’t heat more water than you need in the kettle
- Use the washing machine only when full
- Wash laundry at 30 degrees when possible
- Reduce number of short haul flights you take
- Reduce single purpose journeys and try to car share
- Take public transport where possible
- Drive “smarter”: use gears, acceleration and powers of anticipation to adopt a more fuel efficient driving style. See Eco Tips for Driving for more information.
Please help us work together to protect our planet.
To find out more see www.ecocongregationscotland.org.